YouTube TV Comes To Roku Streaming Devices
Owners of select Roku streaming media players and TVs will soon have access to the YouTube TV live streaming service, the company announced today.
Owners of select Roku adapters will be able to access and view YouTube TV live OTT broadcast stations, sports and other content for $35/month following a free trial.
YouTube TV delivers live TV from nearly 50 networks including ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CW, Disney Channel, ESPN, FX, Telemundo and others. The channels come from four media groups including: NBCUniversal, CBS, Fox Networks and Disney-ABC Television Group.
In addition to the major broadcast networks, YouTube TV offers popular cable channels including ESPN, ESPN2, Fox News Channel, CBNC, MSNBC, USA, FX, Disney Channel, Bravo, E!, and National Geographic. Popular programming includes live local news, sporting events and Primetime TV series. In addition, premium cable networks including Showtime, Shudder, Sundance Now and Fox Soccer Plus are available for an extra charge.
Read more about YouTube TV coming to Roku devices after the jump.
YouTube TV, which is less than a year old, has already passed the 300,000 subscriber mark. It sits just below popular competitors, including Hulu with Live TV, which has an estimated 450,000 users. It also appears to be rapidly gaining on live OTT service leaders DirecTV Now from AT&T and Sling TV from Dish, at 1 and 2 million subscribers, respectively.
YouTube TV, operated by Google, is benefiting from the huge popularity of the standard YouTube service, which already has more than billion users in 88 countries.
Currently, YouTube TV is available in 83 metro areas across the country. The YouTube TV app is now available in the Roku Channel Store.
Popular YouTube TV features include:
● Cloud DVR with no storage limits
● “Library” tab that includes easy access to the shows you’ve recorded. Browse movies, shows, and events by new, most watched, and more to find the perfect thing to watch
● “Home” tab with personalized recommendations, including top picks, resume watching (easily pick up where you left off on another device when you get home!) and more
● “Live” tab with a full program guide to see what’s on now and what’s airing soon
● Background playback experience so you never miss the action while you browse the app
● Ability to share with up to 5 other roommates or family members in your household. Each family member gets their own login, DVR, and personalized recommendations.
YouTube TV’s Cloud DVR lets users record and store favorite shows as they air to the cloud for playback at a convenient time. YouTube TV gives users unlimited storage for up to nine months.
By Greg Tarr
Have a question for the HD Guru? HD GURU|Email
Copyright ©2018 HD Guru Inc. All rights reserved. HD GURU is a registered trademark.