Sony Announces Two New HDTV Series
Updated and Corrected
Today Sony revealed the remainder of its 2012 HDTV product line. It consist of a 84-inch 4K edge-lit LED LCD with four times the resolution of HDTV (3840 x 2160) and a replacement for its current (2011) top of the line XBR929 series back-lit LED LCD HDTV.
Details appear after the jump.
The Sony 84-inch TV represents a number of firsts for Sony. It is the largest flat panel it has ever offered and its first 4K television, coming a year after Sony introduced its first 4K front projector.
This edge-lit LED LCD is a full featured television with Internet streaming video and apps, 3D capability, a 10 driver speaker system with virtual 5.1 surround sound and more.
According to CE Daily, the XBR84X900 is Sony’s first foray into the passive 3D camp, making LG the likely supplier as they are also about to offer a 4K passive 3D 84-inch HDTV with an LG sourced LCD panel. This means 3D content will be seen as 3840 x 1080 resolution, not in full 4K. Sony plans to ship demo units to about 10 Sony Style stores and select Sony resellers Sept. 7-8. Prospective purchasers can expect delivery by Dec. 2012.
Pricing will be announced next week at CEDIA. Our guess is it will be in the $20K range. Below is Sony’s list of the major features and specs and a link to the Sony XBR84X900 webpage .
- Immersive, 84″ (diag.) screen with 4K resolution – 4 times more detail than 1080p
- 4K X-Reality™ PRO Picture Engine with up scaling capability to 4K
- Powerful, cinematic sound totaling 50 watts
- Custom Install ready for simple integration with leading control systems
- Immersive 3D
- Motionflow™ XR960 technology
- Movies, music & apps with Sony Entertainment Network
- View, share and edit those precious photo memories in 4K resolution using PlayMemories Studio™ software on your PS3™ system.
- SimulView™ technology presents twice the fun: 2-player games with no split screen7
- Stream HD entertainment wirelessly with built-in Wi-Fi®
- PC and tablet content on your TV with Intelligent Connect
- Media Remote™ app to control your TV with a smartphone
- 84-inch screen
- 4K (3,840 × 2,160) Resolution
- 4K X-Reality PRO with up-conversion
- Motionflow™ XR 960
- Dynamic Edge LED
- Local Dimming
- Full HD 3D
- Sony Entertainment Network/Media Remote/DLNA®/Wi-Fi® Direct /SKYPE™
- Wireless LAN built in
- 50 watt total output
- 10-unit Speaker System including subwoofer
- 10 degree inward facing array
- S-Force Surround 3D
- RS232 Control
- Control4® Certified
- IR Input
Panel Dimensions (TV only, not including TV stand)
- Weight: 176.3 pounds
- Height: 44 3/4 inches
- Width: 84 1/4 inches
- Depth: 3 5/8 inches
Save On The Best Selling HDTVs
More Deals On New 2012 HDTV Models
24 Month Interest Free Financing on Select HDTVs
Sony’s highly rated 2011 XBRHX929 is finally being superseded with a 2012 version. It will be available later this year in 55-inch and 65-inch screen sizes. The XBR55HX950 and XBR65HX950 are full array backlit LED LCD with local dimming. Like the HX929 the 2012 950 will feature full front Corning Gorilla Glass (link), Internet movie streaming and apps, 3D capability, Motionflow 960 processing (240 Hz refresh). The 2012 950 adds new features including a back-tilting table stand, and super bit mapping allowing the equivalent of 14-bit video gradations.
Pricing and availability was not provided, however the Japanese version is shipping this November, so we expect the US version to arrive at around the same time.
Correction: an earlier version named AUO as the likely supplier of the 84-inch model.
Have a question for the HD Guru?
Copyright ©2012 HD Guru Inc. All rights reserved. HDGURU is a registered trademark.
Best Buy Bombshell!
Comments are closed.