DirecTV To Present Masters Golf Tournament In 4K With HDR
AT&T/DirecTV announced this week that it will for the first time televise the Master’s Golf Tournment in 4K Ultra HD with High Dynamic Range (HDR).
As with prior HDR satcasts, DirecTV has selected Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG), which does not require metadata and is optimized for live on-the-fly HDR, as its flavor of HDR. Viewers will need an HLG-supporting 4K HDR TV, the proper DirecTV subscription and 4K HDR Genie and Mini Genie boxes to receive the special content.
This year’s Masters will include the return of legend Tiger Woods. It marks the PGA Tour’s first Major set to tee off amidst “a massive resurgence” of interest in the sport, DirecTV said.
AT&T/DirecTV will broadcast The Masters live in 4K HDR, marking another technology first in DirecTV’s use of the major event to user in use of 4K Ultra HD resolution and supporting picture enhancements.
DirecTV first began using 4K UHD resolution production of the event at the 2016 Masters. For more than a year, the service has been actively broadcasting the world’s top sporting events, including the recent Olympics from PyeongChang, S. Korea, in 4K with HLG HDR to provide viewers with the highest quality viewing experience.
Amazon’s Camera, Photo & Video Deals
Amazon Fire TV 4K Ultra HD Set-Top Media Adapter with Alexa
Amazon Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote
Amazon Echo Plus Voice Controlled Wireless Speaker and Home System Interface
Amazon Echo Dot Voice Controlled Home System Interface
Amazon Echo Spot with Alexa and Screen
4K Ultra HDTV Specials From Abt
Best Selling Soundbars and 5.1 Surround Systems
This year’s broadcast includes live daily coverage of the Masters including:
- Thursday, April 5 and Friday, April 6: “Amen Corner,” Holes 11, 12 and 13 from 10am-6pm Eastern (DirecTV Channel 105), and Holes 15 and 16 from 11am-6:45pm (Channel 106)
- Saturday, April 8 and Sunday, April 8: “Amen Corner,” Holes 11, 12 and 13 from 10am-6pm ET (Channel 105), and Holes 15 and 16 from 12:45pm-6:30pm ET (Channel 106).
Going forward, DirecTV said that among its plans for further 4K/HDR events this year are: a slate of more the 25 regular season MLB games in 4K HDR via MLB Network Showcase beginning Friday, March 30th. A sample of some of those games follows:
- Friday, March 30 – New York Yankees vs. Toronto Blue Jays at 7:07 pm ET (Channel 106).
- Wednesday, April 11 and Thursday, April 12 – New York Yankees vs. Boston Red Sox at 7:10 pm ET (Channel 106).
- Thursday, April 26 – Milwaukee Brewers vs. Chicago Cubs on at 8:05 pm ET (Channel 106).
To receive the broadcasts in 4K Ultra HD with HDR, DirecTV subscribers will need the following:
An Internet-connected Genie HD DVR (Model HR54 and above).
- A DirecTV 4K Ready TV or a compatible 4K TV (must support HLG HDR) connected to the latest 4K Genie Mini.
- Installation of DirecTV 4K Ready TV by a DirecTV technician to ensure the best results.
- Anyone interested in adding DirecTV 4K/HDR service, equipment or both, consumers can call 800-288-2020 to schedule an installation appointment.
By Greg Tarr
Have a question for the HD Guru? HD GURU|Email
Copyright ©2018 HD Guru Inc. All rights reserved. HD GURU is a registered trademark.