Denon Delivers Mid-Range AVR-X3500H Receiver With eARC, ALLM
Denon this month introduced a more affordable version of its popular X-series audio video receivers for 2018 in the AVR-X3500H.
It has many of the same features as some of its higher-end counterparts, including parent-company Sound United’s HEOS wireless multi-room audio platform as well as the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 auto calibration room acoutsics optimization platform with LFC, Sub EQ, Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ.
The receiver also supports the most popular object-oriented 3D audio surround sound systems including Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and the virtual verson DTS Virtual:X. That latter adds synthesized 3D effects, including overhead, to all sound tracks, including those that weren’t originally encoded for native object-oriented-based surround.
Also supported is voice control via Amazon Alexa using a connected Smart Home Skill for Entertainment Devices like Echo smart speakers.
Using Amazon’s Alexa Smart Home Skill for Entertainment Devices, users can simply speak commands to control a variety of AVR functions, including power on/off, volume, mute/unmute, music play/pause, external input switching and playback of supported streaming services.
It also supports wireless connectivity via Bluetooth and Apple AirPlay 2, the latter via a forthcoming firmware update.
The AVR-X3500H incorporates an AKM 32-bit DAC and will decode Hi-Res Audio files including ALAC, FLAC and WAV files at up to 24-bit/192-kHz, for high audio fidelity. It is also compatible with 2.8/5.6-MHz DSD files, which can be played from memory devices via the front panel USB, or over network sources.
Like a few other 2018 Denon AVRs, the AVR-X3500H will be made future-ready with support via a firmware update for two key features in the forthcoming HDMI 2.1 standard interface — Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM). eARC supports more advanced surround sound formats like Dolby TrueHD, DTSHD Master Audio and objected-based audio formats from embedded streaming TV apps, while ALLM ensures Xbox One users will enjoy faster response time and immersiveness from video gaming when connected with any TV model that also supports ALLM.
The unit’s analog-to-HDMI conversion will scale video content up to 1080p Full HD or 4K Ultra HD (60Hz).
Included in the receiver are eight HDMI inputs, one on the front, and three HDMI outputs. Vinyl enthusiasts will also find a phono input.
With the Custom Electronics Designers and Installers Association (CEDIA) Expo 2018 right around the corner, Denon points out that the X3500H, is optimized for use by custom integrators and consumers who value quick, reliable maintenance by including compatibility with ihiji Invision and Domotz Pro remote monitoring and management technologies.
Both newly-integrated tools enable integrators to remotely monitor AVRs and provide near-immediate assistance to clients from any location.
Denon said the external and IP control capabilities allow simplified customization and compatibility with third-party solutions. It also supports Simple Device Detection Protocol (SDDP) certification for integration with Control4 home automation equipment. Similarly, it will support Crestron Connected home automation technology.
The Denon AVR-X3500H feature list includes in the following:
- 7.2 channel AV receiver with 105W per channel (8ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.08% THD)
- Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and DTS Virtual:X
- Supports Apple’s AirPlay 2 (via future firmware update)
- Amazon Alexa voice control compatibility
- 8 HDMI inputs with full HDCP 2.2 support and 3 HDMI outputs (Main, Sub, Zone 2)
- Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) (via future firmware update)
- 4k/60 Hz, Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG, 4:4:4 color resolution and BT.2020
- Award-winning Denon guided setup assistant and graphical user interface
- Supports “ihiji Invision” and “Domotz Pro” remote system monitoring and management technology
- Auto Low Latency Mode for best Xbox one gaming experience (via August 2018 firmware update)
- Supports Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, Sirius XM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, Deezer and more
- Built-in HEOS wireless multi-room audio technology
- Built-in Wi-Fi with 2.4GHz/5GHz dual band support, plus built-in Bluetooth
- High-resolution DSD (2.8/5.6MHz), FLAC, ALAC and WAV support
- Audyssey MultEQ XT32, Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ, LFC and Sub EQ HT
- CI friendliness – IP control, Web UI, remote management capability via ihiji invision or Domotz pro, HDMI diagnostics mode for on-site trouble-shooting, RS-232C, IR remote in/out, 12 V Trigger output.
By Greg Tarr
Have a question for the HD Guru? HD GURU|Email
Copyright ©2018 HD Guru Inc. All rights reserved. HD GURU is a registered trademark.