CTA: Pandemic Spurred 159M Smart Tech Product Installations
The Consumer Technology Association recently released a new report showing 159 million U.S. households have installed tech since the start of pandemic either as DIY projects of by hiring a tech professional.
In addition, 89% of U.S. renters and homeowners currently use and have at least one smart or connected technology product installed in their households.
Furthermore, the report, titled Consumer Perceptions: DIY & Professional Installations of Home Technology, found 70% of owners installed a product since the start of the pandemic and more Americans are turning to DIY for their future installations.
The full report is available to CTA members, or for purchase to non-members, here.
See What Your 4K UHD TV Can Really Do With The Spears & Munsil 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc, $39.95.
Portrait Displays Calman Display Calibration Software
Amazon’s Best Selling 4K Ultra HDTVs
Amazon’s Camera, Photo & Video Deals
Amazon Fire TV Cube Media Adapter with Alexa
Amazon Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote
Amazon Echo Smart Speaker with Alexa Voice Control
Amazon Echo Show 8 Alexa Voice Controlled Smart Screen
Amazon Echo Dot with Clock Voice Controlled Speaker
Amazon Echo Studio 3D Audio Alexia Smart Speaker
Best Selling Soundbars and 5.1 Surround Systems
COVID-19 pandemic spurred more home technology product ownership, despite causing installation cancellations and timeline delays, CTA said while referencing the following market advancements:
• Across 22 smart or connected home technology products, 227 million (or 89%) U.S. renters and homeowners currently use and have installed at least one product within their households. Among those, 70% report installing at least one product since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, and one-third said the pandemic made them more likely to “do it yourself” (DIY) (36%) or use a professional installer (32%).
• Of the 159 million consumers who installed or planned to install a home technology product since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, 54% experienced project delays, postponements or cancellations.
Across all home technology devices, most product installations by consumers still favor DIY.
• Among the 196 million consumers planning to install at least one home technology product in the next 12 months, one-third (32%) exclusively plan to DIY compared to 17% who exclusively plan to use a professional installer.
In other findings, consumers indicated their schedule is the top reason for DIY-ing, while skillfulness is the top reason for professional installations.
• 81% of surveyed respondents agree that pro installers can install what the consumer cannot.
• Eight in 10 agree that working at one’s own pace/schedule and feeling a personal sense of accomplishment are the most compelling reasons for DIY installations (82% and 80%, respectively).
“Professional installers are the go-to solution for unsuccessful home technology product installations,” according to the study writeup. “Among those who DIY, should an installation not be successful, more than half (54%) say they are likely to resort to a professional installer.”
Online purchases made using links provided on this site might generate a small commission for HD Guru.com. We thank you for your support!
By Greg Tarr
Have a question for the HD Guru? HD GURU|Email
Copyright ©2021 HD Guru Inc. All rights reserved. HD GURU is a registered trademark.